Monday, March 7, 2011

Journal #6

Did you belong to girl scouts as a child.  Tell about your experiences. 
Well I know that I am probably supposed to write about a bunch of life lessons/life skills that I learned as a child from Girl Scouts.  Well actually I was never a scout-but I was in Brownies once.  Unfortunately this is not going to be one of those kind of posts. 
Lets see what I remember.  Randomly my mom asked me as a kid if I wanted to join Brownies.  It was going to be in North Battleford but there were 3 other girls from Rabbit Lake that would be doing it so we would go together.  There was Jennifer (my neighbor), Tenille (a friend) and Darcy (a friend).  All of our moms would take turns driving us into town for Brownies once a week.  I think that pretty much all I learned was that I absolutely hated driving into town with other people's moms.  I hated riding in the back seat of Jennifer's dad's Bronco while he smoked in the front seat especially.  And I learned a super annoying song, "Um Um went the little green frog" which is now Allie's favorite.  That is all I remember.  Okay so I guess there are a couple of life lessons tucked in there with the trauma.

What has been the most significant world event that has taken place during your lifetime.
This would have to be 9-11.  I remember it very clear.  I was at BYU.  I had taken Ashlee to her flute lesson and was on my way back to our apartment.  It came on the radio.  It was like a dream-I remember thinking "this can't really be happening."  But it was real.  I became terrified.  I was alone in college, my family was in Canada.  I didn't know who would keep me safe if something were to happen, how would I get to my family, would I even be able to cross the border?  I felt a lot of panic.  Ashlee kept on telling me it would be okay-but I was very worried.  I remember hearing that President Hinkley was going to be doing a broadcast the next night on the situation.  I just wanted to know what He would say.  I knew that whatever the Prophet felt about the situation is what I needed to feel too.  President Hinkley was so calm and expressed no fear or concern.  He told us to keep living the gospel and trusting in God.  I took his words to heart and felt such peace in them.  I remember that I was in attendance at the General Conference following 9-11.  I was at the conference center.  We managed to get seats quite close to the front.  President Hinkley got up at the end of the session and announced that he had just heard that troops were being deployed overseas.  There were some gasps in the crowd and the choir sang (I don't remember what they sang) with tears running down many faces.

No comments: