Thursday, April 5, 2012

Polka Dancing

While at home the girls were in the basement exploring with Grammy (and let me tell you there is plenty to explore down there) and they came across our childhood record player.  My mom brought it up and put new batteries in it and the thing played like a dream-I mean it had amazing quality of sound (that goes to tell you that toys of the past were built to last).  So we tested out many different old records.  Allie's favorite was "Maneater" but one night I convinced her to play a polka record for Grandpa Sam because that is his favorite music.  He didn't hardly move the whole time but I did see his foot tap slightly to the beat.  I wished with all my heart he would have just jumped off that couch and did his classic bob and bounce just like he used to every sat night while washing dishes and listening to the old time dance party.  I listened to a talk recently about the healing power of music and I wonder if a even 15 minutes a day of polka music wouldn't do him some good.  Probably wouldn't want it on his own-wish we would have found the record player sooner while home.

No comments: